Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Shhhh....

Do you hear that? Neither do I!

The peace and quiet at our new house is absolutely blissful. Since I moved out of my parents house, I've lived in six different houses. Four of them were in Ottawa and subject to the blaring horns, sirens and loud music of my neighbours. One was in a tiny town called Greely which would have been very peaceful were it not for my landlord living next door. When we moved to Cambridge, we inadvertently moved into the ghetto (it's amazing what a dusting of pure white snow can hide) and with it came lots of barking dogs, blaring stereos, shouting matches and cheap cars with REALLY LOUD mufflers!

We moved to our very first house last November and I guess I just expected it would be just as noisy. Through the winter, I was sure that our noisy neighbours were just hibernating and once the snow melted, all hell would break loose. But to my delight, it hasn't! All I hear at night and in the morning are birds twittering. It's so darn quiet! Most of our neighbours are retired and let me tell you, retired folks rock! I love our big blue house even more now that I know it comes with neighbourhood soundproofing! I never knew how much I loved silence until I actually experienced it! Sad that it's taken 10 years to find a quiet piece of heaven, but let me tell you how thankful I am that we did.

Cheers to everyone who makes the effort to be quiet, conscientious neighbours. Let's just hope it lasts!

No comments: