Thursday, June 19, 2008

Argh! Idiot!

*Warning - parental rant ahead! *

I am amazed and sickened by the number of completely clueless, irresponsible parents out there. Last night I went shopping for hubby's birthday and saw some things that just infuriated me! Now, as a preamble, I'm no perfect mother myself and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. But screw it, I'm tossing some rocks today.

Sunscreen - When your child is unable to apply sunscreen themselves (let's say 5 and under for argument's sake) it is your responsibility to do it for them. And when your child has red hair and fair skin, you must be extra vigilant and teach them young that it's very important to protect your skin (being a red head, I know this lesson well). Last night I saw a little red-headed boy of about three who was so red that it made me wince. His little eyebrows looked like white streaks against the burned background. I know that it could have been a number of circumstances, but please people - lube up your kids for goodness sakes!

Seatbelts - It's just common sense that whoever gets into your car has to wear a seatbelt. But when you're driving a convertible and your child is four - STRAP HER IN for God's sake! Some complete idiot was driving down the road with his preschooler sitting on top of the seat waving at everyone like she was in a freaking parade. Where are the cops at times like this?!

Gum - It was not invented for babies. I don't care who you are or how much they complain, you should not feed gum to a child who can not yet walk!

Pop - Again, this is not a drink that was designed for children who don't yet have all of their teeth. Buying your baby a Coke is never a good idea.

Whenever I see parents being so bloody clueless it reminds me of the process people have to go through to adopt. You are screened and need to give references from everyone you know and have to go to classes and then get screened again and your house is inspected and on and on and on. If all parents had to go through this process, maybe we could weed out these people who obviously left their brains in the delivery room.

*Rant complete*

1 comment:

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Amen to that! I TOTALLY agree!