Monday, July 28, 2008

The grand finale!

The saga of heartsong's hand is finally over! We went to see the plastic surgeon this morning and he's given Hayden a clean bill of health. The wound has healed quite well thanks to the constant attention of the nurses at our local hospital. They bandaged his fingers straight every night and as a result, the scar seems to be healing loose enough for him to be able to use his fingers normally.

He left the hospital today with just a simple band aid over the biggest wound. The other fingers have healed enough that they don't need any further dressings. The whole way home and then to school, Hayden just stared at his hand. He'd touch his fingers cautiously and show them to me as if they were some strange new growth. I'm sure his skin is prickling with every little sensation after being tightly bound for the past two weeks. He was still holding it protectively when I left the school, not quite believing that he had two useful hands again.

I'm sure that by the time I pick him up tonight, he'll have forgotten he ever had the bandages. I wonder if he'll revert back to using his right hand or if he'll stay a lefty. I've had a few friends tell me that this might have been a great experience cognitively as Hayden would have formed all new pathways in his brain as he learned to use his left hand for writing and eating.

Someday, as he receives his Nobel prize, I'll remind him that mummy made it all possible.

2 comments:

The W.O.W. factor! said...

That is GREAT!!!! We'll all watch for that Nobel Prize & help him to remember why he's getting it! :)
I love the theory..."have been a great experience cognitively " It could be very true!!!

Amydeanne said...

I hope he heals quick!